Posted by Ian S 
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: Sand Blast 2014 penalty scandal?
March 02, 2014 04:11PM
Interestingly, according to the supp regs, Anders didn't have any real authority at the event. Influence, undoubtedly, but no authority WRT event decisions.

I'm not a fan of winning by hanging paper. I know I won't inquire something that is a trivial rules violation that doesn't lend a competitive advantage. But, rules are a part of the sport, including administrative rules.

FWIW: Your appeal can only really stand on the fact the notice was neither on the bulletin board nor handed out to all teams - as evidenced by you not getting one. Presumably, the organizer would have had teams sign for the bulletins if they were relying on them being handed out at a control or meeting.

At the end of the day, organizers also have rules they need to follow, and that comes in to play from time to time as well.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

March 02, 2014 08:35PM
brakim
Guys this whole thing is a lot more clear cut than it looks, it's this simple. Anders came to us after the penalty was posted and said "you guys were never given the one printed sheet with fuel only service because you weren't here" all of the documents we had (and the route book we were given as well as the websites sup regs and the email we received titled "final sup regs" yes that was the email.

facts:
website final sup regs (still posted) say service (not fuel only)
route book says service. (not fuel only)
we were being interviewed by anders as we changed the tires and everyone was told it was ok.
we didn't need new tires we had perfect ones on it, in fact we screwed up and put over inflated tires on and lost time (this is irrelevant but still a good fact. we ran 46 psi one stage whoops) we only got one good stage on the new tires which didn't make us shit for time. it was a night stage we had no light pods just nice little headlights. we still killed it no biggy.
second place team agreed with anders when he told them the penalty was being removed because every document we downloaded and were given stated service.
the $250 fee is a fee we had to pay AFTER the second place team paid them to review it. in order to have the race reviewed by a third party they made us pay $250 to have it reviewed.

it's a pretty simple deal guys. anders said they screwed up, it happens. and THEY did screw up.. and its costing us a huge headache for no reason. we're proud of our finish and times either way, say as you please I didn't read the comments I'm sure theres good and bad but these are the facts. we love rally and rally on we will.

smiling smiley

Driver
Matt Brandenburg
BRAKIM Racing

VIDEO COMING SOON SANDBLAST

You really should read the comments, there's no hate here, just questions. When all we see are angrily worded posts, and pictures of money, I'm sure you can understand why questions might be raised.

As a fellow competitor, I can understand how infuriating it would be to be effectively robbed of a top podium spot by a technicality. I can also, albeit to a lesser extent, understand wanting to keep fans updated. The truth is, you put it out there, and made it seem like a scandal. Mistakes, protests, and the like happen. You blew it up and got everyone interested. By making such a big deal, it made you look guilty, at least to some people. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't make this thread to do any name calling. I wanted answers to questions raised namely by your comments. Allegations of bribery effect all currant and future competitors at SB and other NRS events because it throws into question the credibility of the organizers and the stewards. If these allegations are overblown, then that is unfair to them first and foremost.

Whether a tire change or something along those lines could actually effect the outcome of an event is a moot point here. Rules are part of this sport, it's what makes rally what it is.

I Seppanen, Car #240

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 08:41PM by Ian S.
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 02, 2014 08:52PM
I fully understand and appreciate your point of view, however, we just posted this pics and comments to make a point that the system is screwed up.. its a race.. we raced on what we were gave and we won, the competitors should have the respect to back up and accept defeat.. they admitted we won to my face and congratulated me with a hand shake and told anders I understand its settled thanks. then ran inside and paid them money essentially making us do the same... thats not racing.. Looking forward to better competition in the future...
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

March 02, 2014 09:02PM
brakim
I fully understand and appreciate your point of view, however, we just posted this pics and comments to make a point that the system is screwed up.. its a race.. we raced on what we were gave and we won, the competitors should have the respect to back up and accept defeat.. they admitted we won to my face and congratulated me with a hand shake and told anders I understand its settled thanks. then ran inside and paid them money essentially making us do the same... thats not racing.. Looking forward to better competition in the future...

In your Facebook posts, you essentially blamed the organizers/stewards, when now it seems more like a certain competitor would be more deserving of your ire. I understand your anger, it's where and how it was directed that seemed so troubling. Semantics make all the difference in the world sometimes.

While your argument that you were unaware that the final service was fuel only is a valid one, dragging people like Anders' names through the mud in an attempt to garner support of a fair decision regarding your appeal is just as, if not more dirty then the bold face lie that seems to have you so angry in the first place.

I Seppanen, Car #240
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

March 02, 2014 10:11PM
One of the things I really like about rally is that it's NOT just a race. Success in rally also depends on preparation, logistics, funding, and navigating not just the road, but the technical details of the rules and regulations. You can "win" the driving and still loose the rally. And being a crybaby about it and bitching and pouting doesn't make you look any better to us, or I'd imagine, to your sponsors. I really doubt Tony at VAC thinks this is proper.

Jason McDaniel
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 02, 2014 11:15PM
Jüngling Branderburg
look at your name.. Look at your car, look at your culture..
You more than any should know.

Befehl ist befehl.

They even wrote a book about it

Und Regler ist Regler.....

Mit kein regler und kein respekt, kein Würdigung wir habben nür anarchie..

Oh, one thing..There's one real rule here...

RALLY ANARCHY RULES - READ THIS FIRST (that means you, newb)
Posted by Administrator

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?8,41104

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 03, 2014 01:12AM
Anders himself said "I'm sorry guys this is OUR FAULT this is NASA and the ORGANIZERS FAULT thats why BRAKIM Racing WINS" this was said clearly the other teams said you're correct and shook my hand and congratulated me as I apologized and said sorry I just want to celebrate its our first big win.. then one of them ran in and submit payment for a higher review board... really.. I don't feel we did anything wrong guys thats the real problem.. I learned a lesson but not one I should have needed to be taught..
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 03, 2014 01:14AM
PS: guys we pulled this from Facebook because we didn't think it was appropriate we were just upset for understandable reasons, and this private forum the people in the seats read is just us talking.. have a question just ask, if anyone here is a "crybaby" its certainly not us my man.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 03, 2014 02:09AM
brakim
PS: guys we pulled this from Facebook because we didn't think it was appropriate we were just upset for understandable reasons, and this private forum the people in the seats read is just us talking.. have a question just ask, if anyone here is a "crybaby" its certainly not us my man.

Yeah yeah but this is second time:
Jüngling Branderburg
look at your name.. Look at your car, look at your culture..
You more than any should know.

Befehl ist befehl.

They even wrote a book about it

Und Regler ist Regler.....

Mit kein regler und kein respekt, kein Würdigung wir habben nür anarchie..

Oh, one thing..There's one real rule here...

RALLY ANARCHY RULES - READ THIS FIRST (that means you, newb)
Posted by Administrator

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?8,41104

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 03, 2014 08:53AM
Why didn't you just say "put your name on your profile" I already stated I wasn't reading the posts we're busy on the road at the moment you guys know how this goes lol you're all rally guys. Truth is this is just a headache and regardless of the outcome right or wrong this is all a waste of time, we're here to race not real interested in this bs but we were pulled into it. NASA already admitted to us and the other teams this error was theirs. We're simply hoping and waiting for the final ruling (we we're told that the "you guys get first place" was the final ruling but we were apparently lied to as were the other top teams.. don't hand out a trophy and make it sound like the final word then take it back... just makes it worse obviously) if anyone has any questions just ask them I'm happy to answer with facts but this is all pretty clearly stated at this point. Back on the road later guys.

MB
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

March 03, 2014 09:13AM
brakim
Why didn't you just say "put your name on your profile" I already stated I wasn't reading the posts we're busy on the road at the moment you guys know how this goes lol you're all rally guys. Truth is this is just a headache and regardless of the outcome right or wrong this is all a waste of time, we're here to race not real interested in this bs but we were pulled into it. NASA already admitted to us and the other teams this error was theirs. We're simply hoping and waiting for the final ruling (we we're told that the "you guys get first place" was the final ruling but we were apparently lied to as were the other top teams.. don't hand out a trophy and make it sound like the final word then take it back... just makes it worse obviously) if anyone has any questions just ask them I'm happy to answer with facts but this is all pretty clearly stated at this point. Back on the road later guys.

MB
Man sorry I missed you out there. Congrats on a good performance nonetheless, Tony was asking me at 12am on Sat how we did. But all I got was a blow motor! Will have to do it at another event.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

March 03, 2014 09:15AM
if you had a face-to-face agreement with Anders and the other protesting team(s) before the protest was filed, then yeah it's a little lame.

BUT...

it is part of the co-driver's job to do everything by the letter of the rules (anal retentive if you want to call it that) and, if necessary, get that shit in writing. Could they have gotten that with (what I assume would be a second) inquiry, instead of a protest? Maybe, I don't know.

(in part, I say this as someone involved in a 3+ year battle with some insurance companies, because we trusted that a verbal request was enough, and didn't get that shit in writing...)

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

March 03, 2014 09:17AM
I'm kinda confused by how this happened. Looking at the unofficial schedule on the website, wasn't there a full service stop before the last 2 stages?
http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com/2014/forms/2014StageSchedule.pdf

Was that the fuel only service where this happened? Or was it the earlier one labeled "4A Service B Fuel Only (Patrick)" where it happened? Or did the schedule change from what is posted online?
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 03, 2014 09:18AM
Thanks man and yes I'm proud of the team regardless of the results of this everyone on the team did phenomenal it's just sad we may lose our first place following all posted rules and bulletins and sup regs (they still say service not fuel only) either way all we really learned is that the system is a bit messy and win or lose you may just lose... we had fun we rallied and we WON thats that.

It was nice to meet you bro! Super bummed you guys pop'd the engine from mom and pop BP fuel thats a real pisser we had already heard you were the team to beat so to have it come down to something like this instead of racing with fast guys just sucks... look forward to running with you in the future!! heard your cars a beast winking smiley
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 03, 2014 09:28AM
Route book, final sup regs and bulletin all say SERVICE not FUEL ONLY. As anders interviewed me the guys said "you want new rubber" we have cuts ready for the double run but your tires are brand new, we have plenty of time. I replied yes they tossed on tires we left. This didn't change our standing any we were ahead by a lot and we literally cruised the last stage with no lights and still won this isn't some scandal this is just an issue with having non matching documents to run the race on... they admitted their error and still will I'm sure but it doesn't matter just sucks win or lose we've been forced into a situation that is a loss either way...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login