Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Let's get political. Gun Debate!
December 19, 2012 11:08AM
the pitbull thing has a lot to do with training. i have friends with pitbulls and they have been some of the best behaved dogs i've ever seen.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

December 19, 2012 11:22AM
Alex,

Pitbulls were bred to fight. They are killing "machines". Assault rifles are built to kill lots of targets quickly. A well behaved pitbull is just an assault rifle in the gun closet. For the record I don't like german shepards either.

As a society, I believe we need to change our views, recognize that these are only meant for one purpose. And ask ourselves, "do I want to be part of an intention to kill".
heymagic
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 19, 2012 11:45AM
Matt, I agree with you. Alex I've seen nice pit bulls...lots of dogs are called pit bulls that aren't a;so. But they are just a dog. Beagels are the same general size, love to be petted, have fleas, lick their asses..no one NEEDS a pit bull for any reason. Except maybe your local drug dealer.

30 rd clips..nah we don't need those. 5-10 is more than adequate for general defense and hunting. 2nd amendment argument is bullshit. That was written when single shot muzzle loaders were state of the art. It proclaims the right to bear arms..not single shot weapons. Those muckets were the same thing the military carried at that time. Those people wrote a law for their time, in words they understood at that time. It was intended to take care of their needs with the knowledge and experiences they had to work with. Many a settler lost their life because of that old single shot POS. They also used oil lamps, killed indians for their land, enslaved thousands of blacks, wore short pants and buckled shoes. Not exactly a perfect example to define live for ages....

Life in general is about moderation and compromise if we are around other people. If you live deep in the forest turn your music up..if you live in town, not so much. Own a gun, yes. Own 30rd clips for a Glock, not so much. Common sense. Definitely is short supplies these days.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 19, 2012 11:51AM
I'm with gene. There is no reason for hi cap mags or fully automatic weapons. But there is nothing wrong with semi auto with a magazine.

By the way, John will never drive me to wacko status. I just laugh at his posts and poke holes in his arguments

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

December 19, 2012 11:52AM
really so long as i can own my hunting rifle and my revolver options and pump shotguns, im okay with things. I just happen to see semiautomatic pistols as a hobbists fun thing to shoot. That said, my friends M1A was a great hunting rifle

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Jay
Jay Woodward
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
December 19, 2012 11:55AM
If you look at (any) weapon with that mindset, that the only purpose it has is to kill, then I don't want to see you armed up with anything more lethal than a spork. I look at them as tools, insurance policies, against either the day when insurance companies are not in business or for events against which an insurance policy is worthless. Just as one f'rinstance, go ask those Korean shopkeepers that survived the LA riots about the uselelssness of an ar15 and a hi cap mag in today's modern society. I'm sure they all should have simply sung the "state farm is there" song and that would have worked out just fine. To say "it can't heepen to me, it won't happen here" is to be optmistic to the point of mental incompetence. If ever I have to use a gun for anything other than fun, I will NOT be "shooting to kill", I'll be shooting to stay alive.

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
Chronologically, 46...
heymagic
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 19, 2012 11:57AM
Alex..perfect! I like my S&W 9mm, I really enjoy my 357 also. I'd rather compromise on a sane solution than a total ban.
Jens
Jens
Mega Moderator

December 19, 2012 11:59AM
I have plenty of experience with firearms including the AR15, and with German Shepherds. Guns and German Shepherds don't scare me.

I have no personal experience with Pitbulls, but they scare me. Perhaps if I knew some Pitbulls I would feel differently about them.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 19, 2012 01:04PM
All this talk of bears makes me think of Jedediah Smith.

Grant Hughes
Jay
Jay Woodward
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

Jay
December 19, 2012 04:13PM
...or dan'l boone...wasn't he inta shewtin b'ars?

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
Chronologically, 46...
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

December 19, 2012 04:59PM
I don't like the idea of a total ban, the whole class shouldn't be punished for a few bad kids. If they want to target hi-cap mags and "black" rifles fine, but don't ban, just restrict. Look at suppressors and full auto weapons now, they're still available, in most states anyway, as long as you pass a somewhat in depth background check, including a signature from your local Police chief/sherif, finger printing done by state police, and it all gets sent to the ATF for approval along w a $200 tax stamp. When was the last time you heard of a crime being committed w a full auto gun, suppressor, or a SBR? There are still plenty of them out there but with the extra effort it takes to get them comes the more responsible owner. I'm not saying this will eliminate the violent killing sprees, but it will help. I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Obviously there are far greater issues that are the root cause, parenting, diagnosing, and treating those with mental illness.

I like the idea of being able to defend myself and the gun is the great equalizer. If someone 6' something, 200+lbs wants to do me harm I don't stand a chance, bare hands can be weapons too. If they have a gun, legal or not, then my odds get even worse. But if I have a gun for defense, were equal. Police can't be everywhere all the time, I want to be able to take responsibility for my defense(ie. SELF defense), as I think more people should. That also requires more responsible people, unfortunatly in today's society that is a long shot.

Less talk. More rally.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 19, 2012 05:18PM
Racinkid13
Max
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

December 19, 2012 05:53PM
I have 3 guns.

Kimber .45
M4
Glock 9mm

I carry my Glock. I will say carrying it makes me think thrice about what I do next in certain situations.

My M4 is for stress relief. Feels fantastic to get away from people and blow the living hell out of something.

I agree with getting to the root, the mental issues. Also, if i read right, the school guy and the portland mall guy used stolen guns?
JohnLane
John Lane
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

December 19, 2012 07:26PM
Mad Matt F
However, my point is that as a society we are still producing multi-round weapons for general civilain use, and that's F-upped.

We can disagree on how many rounds you approve of and still have a polite conversation on the topic. We all know who finds that impossible.
Reality is that the number of rounds that can be loaded into a clip to go into a weapon by those of us purchasing legally isn't going to stop anyone from purchasing illegally. The genie is already out of the bottle and we're not going to get her back in.

Mad Matt F
And Pitbulls hark to an age when we had dog fights... That's F-upped too... we need to fix that, and the folks that think Pitbulls are "cute" really need to understand what they are up against.

A Pit Bull is not born a savage. It is made to be one. The pit my family had when I was a kid was the sweetest critter you'd ever meet.... Who was a pit bull who kept the naer-do-wells out of the fenced second lot very well. The only person ever bit was the shit-head who went over the wall with her attached to his ass. Had it coming to him and he didn't re-offend.

Edit: That said about Pit Bulls.... I've had some really horrible experiences with German Shepards. Neurotic.

Mad Matt F
It absolutly sucks... it's a horrific event, and all we can do now is try to fix what went wrong. However, it will probably happen again, because before we fix it there will be another kid messed up enough to do something this horrible. I hope we act fast...

I feel for the families. I hope that this does not make for an emotion-driven change in law that will only make things worse. Reality is that the perp who did the shooting was a sick SOB who went after people he knew damned good and well would not be armed. He took himself out as first responders were arriving on the scene. Coward.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 07:28PM by JohnLane.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 19, 2012 08:02PM
Here is an excerpt from a book called "School Shootings"

The similarities are crazy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=UEVWCHCuckMC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6#v=onepage&q&f=false

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login