HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

Re: Let's get political. Gun Debate!
December 20, 2012 02:16AM
heymagic
So what what was the Canadian gun registry for? All guns? All citizens?

The most hilarious thing of all: rifles. It was called the long gun registry. It basically only penalized people out west (and our French redneck brethern) who had any sort of rural upbringing. A scheme concocted by the Liberal party to buy votes, punish a small minority of Canadian citizens, and waste tax payers money.

I am super-simplifying it, but that is the basics. Because everybody with a .22 is a murdering homicidal maniac, and not just picking off gophers.

John, nobody said that it was good. Killing in general is bad, killing of innocents the worst. But to say that YOU THINK there are more wives/girlfriends/exs murdered in the US than gangbangers on a yearly basis... slightly disingenous.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 20, 2012 04:15AM
HiTempguy

John, nobody said that it was good. Killing in general is bad, killing of innocents the worst. But to say that YOU THINK there are more wives/girlfriends/exs murdered in the US than gangbangers on a yearly basis... slightly disingenous.

I didn't say I think...I don't speculate. I say what I know from own reading and the above mentioned cops I knew in various countries. Granted the furriners were in far less generally murderous societies, and that was before the US was as aswash with a couple of generations grown up being fed a constand diet of glorifying violence in a stupid scale..

Bur Adam, you think because you don't know something and because you talk a lot of smack and you BS some that everybody does.
That is your mistake..
Here is a link, US Department of Justice is probably not a credible enough proof but I'm busy so i only looked for 20-30 seconds --which you could have if you were as smart as you think you are..
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4557

Violent Victimization Committed by Strangers, 1993-2010

Erika Harrell, Ph.D.

December 11, 2012 NCJ 239424

Presents findings on the rates and levels of violent victimization committed by offenders who were strangers to the victims, including homicide, rape or sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, and simple assault. The report presents annual trends and compares changes across three 6-year periods in the incidence and type of violence committed by strangers from 1993 through 2010. It describes the characteristics of victims and circumstances of the violent crime. The nonfatal violent victimization estimates were developed from the Bureau of Justice Statistics' National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which collects information on nonfatal crimes, reported and not reported to the police, against persons age 12 or older from a nationally representative sample of U.S. households. The homicide data are from the FBI's Supplementary Homicide Reports (SHR) for 1993 through 2008.

Highlights:

In 2010, strangers committed about 38% of nonfatal violent crimes, including rape/sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, and simple assault.
In 2005-10, about 10% of violent victimizations committed by strangers involved a firearm, compared to 5% committed by offenders known to the victim.
From 1993 to 2008, among homicides reported to the FBI for which the victim-offender relationship was known, between 21% and 27% of homicides were committed by strangers and between 73% and 79% were committed by offenders known to the victims.

I said over 85% based on talks with friends who were cops.
Current figures say up to 79%
79% or 80 or 85% Big Fuck Deal a few %..

Adam said no figure what he "believes" the figure is,
but you uses terms intended to ridicule and sneers a bunch of shit insults...

Adam I want you to know something cause I kinda like you.
You are not smarter than me. And you do not know more than me except maybe in whatever your specific job is, but not much else very probably..
Why would you be or how could you?
You aren't.

Don't sneer shit at me..
Again, you talk a lot of smack talk. guys your age and (in)experience generally do... but smart or not most people see a lot more even if they have sat in one place --over time. I have a lot of time on you, even more experience and way better memory than anybody I know..if you were smart, you'd listen more, maybe ask questions.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Mega Moderator

December 20, 2012 06:19AM
john vanlandingham

I said over 85% based on talks with friends who were cops.
Current figures say up to 79%
79% or 80 or 85% Big Fuck Deal a few %..

This was an informal poll?

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

December 20, 2012 09:23AM
john vanlandingham
between 73% and 79% were committed by offenders known to the victims.

Uh, yea. Most gangbangers know each other. Almost every murder in Edmonton says "the victim was known to the arrested individual" or the like.

Come on John, you gotta do a bit better than that. Currently, I'm pretty sure you are supporting MY side of the argument.

Edit-
And seriously John, I'm sure your a swell guy, but with the stats you've showed me, they don't support your position (dudes beating up on their relations/killing them). No need to get all in my face for pointing it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 09:27AM by HiTempguy.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 20, 2012 10:54AM
I can certainly live with smaller capacity mags. Ok to register or keep large ones at gun ranges.I ain't huntin griz with a muzzle loader tho..

I would gladly contribute to funding some protection for schools. Kids don't have much of a choice, they need to go to school.

Seems like National Guard or reserves could be utilized for more domestic protection, screw the middle east.

We spend billions jacking around old people and kids by TSA at airports and home grown terrorists are changing our lives forever, something just ain't working right here.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 20, 2012 11:40AM
HiTempguy
john vanlandingham

Uh, yea. Most gangbangers know each other. Almost every murder in Edmonton says "the victim was known to the arrested individual" or the like.

Come on John, you gotta do a bit better than that. Currently, I'm pretty sure you are supporting MY side of the argument.

Edit-
And seriously John, I'm sure your a swell guy, but with the stats you've showed me, they don't support your position (dudes beating up on their relations/killing them). No need to get all in my face for pointing it out.

Since you either want to pretend to miss the point just so you can argue or you actually do miss the point, I'll help you out:
The fucking point is that statistically the person you guys are going to killed by or end up killing is somebody you know, a person you deal with and interact with in 73-79% according to the real figures...
Not random strangers like you have come to believe by watching Hollywood movies and TV.

All you guys posing and talking about random total strangers who gonna git ya....
when 300% higher chance is there that you're going to be confronted by somebody you know their name ---or closer as the Cops i have spoken with.
You want to kill somebody?
Who do you know that is so out of touch that they might kill you?

Adam when you write things like this: I know John got all teary eyed and posted some BS about deranged dudes doing most of the killing to ex-gfs/wives/whatever, but he didn't actually provide any credible evidence to back that up.

Do you honestly expect no comments?
and you say I'm in your face?

You never said if you've known cops and asked them anything..

How do converstaions work when you just ignore what people say and dismiss whatever you ---without reflecting--don't 'think" is so---and don't even bother to try and back up your own assertions?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
JohnLane
John Lane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

December 20, 2012 11:45AM
RWD4ME
I have yet to read one valid argument for why any civilian "needs" multi round weapons.

Supposing that the government took away all weapons that could fire more than one round, just for the sake of discussion. They handed out stiff penalties, and fines for simple possession (trigger lock or not), and a few years down the road... they managed to have collected multi round weapons from all civilians. Sure some peole may hang on to them but if they were ever caught in possession, they would spend some time stamping liscence plates behind tall walls with razor wire.

Morten reality in the USA is that there are close to as many firearms as people. There are an awful lot of us who will gladly disassemble a Government who tries to disarm us before giving up our ability to defend ourselves from any and all. By force if needed. There are how many in the armed forces? There are how many of us who are unwilling to be victims? We outnumber them big enough that should we decide to not play ball..... There is no more game; they don't have enough bodybags + those on the left who want to take all the evil gunnzzzz won't be able to get shit done without us.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Jay
Jay Woodward
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
December 20, 2012 11:58AM
I bet I can reduce my chances of someone I know gunning me down by not being a gangbanger or a meth head. However, I can't reduce my chances of being on the receiving end of random violence without moving to a deserted island or hiding in a basement. Since that seems silly, I'll take other measures. So far, so good; I've had to draw down on someone only twice now, once to stop a home invasion robbery and once to stop my car from being stolen. I didn't have to fire at either one, the home invader ran and the cops came round and collected the car thief. People that would rather I were unarmed for those encounters I see as being as much of a threat to me as the perps. I was ten years old and alone in the house with a buddy of mine when that house invasion went down. It woulda made the gungrabbers *feel* better had I not had access to that rifle but we wouldn't have had a chance. You want 'em? Come get 'em.
That's it, I gotta go work on the rallycar...

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Mega Moderator

December 20, 2012 12:05PM
john vanlandingham
HiTempguy
john vanlandingham

Edit-

Since you either want to pretend to miss the point just so you can argue or you actually do miss the point, I'll help you out:
The fucking point is that statistically the person you guys are going to killed by or end up killing is somebody you know, a person you deal with and interact with in 73-79% according to the real figures...
Not random strangers like you have come to believe by watching Hollywood movies and TV.

All you guys posing and talking about random total strangers who gonna git ya....
when 300% higher chance is there that you're going to be confronted by somebody you know their name ---or closer as the Cops i have spoken with.
You want to kill somebody?
Who do you know that is so out of touch that they might kill you?

Adam when you write things like this: I know John got all teary eyed and posted some BS about deranged dudes doing most of the killing to ex-gfs/wives/whatever, but he didn't actually provide any credible evidence to back that up.

Do you honestly expect no comments?
and you say I'm in your face?

You never said if you've known cops and asked them anything..

How do converstaions work when you just ignore what people say and dismiss whatever you ---without reflecting--don't 'think" is so---and don't even bother to try and back up your own assertions?

Everyone I meet, I come up with a plan on how to defend myself should they prove to be harmful to me and mine.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 20, 2012 01:26PM
Jay
I was ten years old and alone in the house with a buddy of mine when that house invasion went down. It woulda made the gungrabbers *feel* better had I not had access to that rifle but we wouldn't have had a chance. You want 'em? Come get 'em.
That's it, I gotta go work on the rallycar...

A classmate in 6th grade shot a guy who broke into their house with a shotgun. Mom and Dad were still sleeping. Kid heard something, got up, saw the guy at the bottom of the stairs. Ran into parents room, grabbed Dad's shotgun, and blasted the guy right as he got to the top of the stairs. Never even knew the kid had seen him and mom and dad woke up when the gun was fired.
I find our Mastiff is sufficient for me to get a good nights sleep.
My brother shot and killed his best friend on accident after a hunting trip when they were 14. I really enjoy shooting guns, but that incident has always turned me off to having them around the house, especially if I ever have a son.
We shot 22s in 7th grade in school. And bow and arrows. It was part of the hunter's ed curriculum and the best 2 weeks of PE class the entire year!

Grant Hughes
MarkHille
Mark Hille
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
I have two crap boxes

December 20, 2012 01:42PM
Nothing like being bored at work…

Everyone else has posted up their ignorance so I figure I might as well join in. Hahaha.

As someone who lives in CT I'm reminded of this:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/petit_family/index.html

As someone who owns a hand gun for the protection of self (and others), I am not looking forward to the government saying "you can have one bullet in your 9mm at any one time". I think that having 1, instead of the 20 it currently holds, is making my odds of successfully defending myself against multiple attackers less likely. You may call this a "perceived safety" and imply that I'm not actually any safer but let's talk about perceived safety. People are thinking, and lawmakers are acting upon, how limiting the amount of bullets a gun can hold will make something like what happened in this school less likely. I'd say that THAT is a false sense of security. People are still going to have guns aren't they? They will just need to reload more often. The police will still have guns, right? Are you going to limit the amount of bullets their guns hold? If not, people will still have access to high capacity weapons. My brother is a police officer. He has access to all sorts of weapons. What about when he flies off the rocker? Have you prevented that? Have you prevented someone from stealing his guns? Nope. This kid in CT used stolen guns. Not only were they stolen but he wasn't legally allowed to have those hand guns either. You mean he committed a crime in order to commit this atrocity???? Shock!!! What would have stopped him from getting pulled over by a cop, using his single shot rifle to shoot the cop in the face as he walked to the car, and then to steal his guns to commit innocent murder? So why do I have to give up my false sense of security in order for other people to have theirs?

It sickens me the extent that the media sensationalized this event. It's unnecessary and part of the problem. This has been going on for a week straight. Legitimately, if a news station had focused on any other news instead of this event they would have (potentially) lost ratings and with lower rating would have lost its support and with no support where is all the money? Could money possibly be part of the driving force of this media bonanza? Who is driving this? US?!?!?!

Grant posted the link to the article about the children of Pakistan. Why are they so much different than these children in CT? You know what kills more innocent children per year in the US than mass school shootings? Highway deaths do. I did my senior thesis on highway deaths and means to lower the amount of highway death in the US….so bear with me. I don't have the numbers right in front of me but over 3 times as many people die in automobile accidents than are murdered each year with guns. Even without the numbers in front of me I'm willing to say that more children are killed in auto accidents per year than children being shot with multiple round weapons. Do you know statistically what the biggest contributing factor in highway death was? Speed. The next factor was age. How young you were statistically raised the odds of a fatality in a motor vehicle (most likely due to inexperience). Those were the two major factors. Alcohol was next but not nearly as big of a factor as these two. (Your actually statistically more likely to survive an accident if you were intoxicated than if you were not. Something to do with being more limp and not bracing for impact.) Anyway, the point is why isn’t everyone going crazy about making the national speed limit 25mph? (The death rate drops significantly at this speed for some reason….like much less than 35mph) What has to be done to solve this problem? If a young kid took his brand new evo 10 and smashed into a school bus at 155mph killing 20 of them, would the media act like this? Would law makers enact a law to put 80mph limiters in all cars? 65mph limiters? 45? Roll cages and helmets (this would help rally in the US!!!!)? I tend to think not. So if your children are statistically more likely to get killed in an automobile accident over them being killed by a gun, why are people so fired up? Emotion? Possibly because people are pushing their own agendas? Maybe I’m way off base and I’m sure your all going to all let me know it but guns aren’t the problem. People will always commit heinous acts of violence. The answer is a better mental health system (and better driver training!!!) but that isn’t as easy to push (or as efficient to please the masses) as gun laws….

(disclaimer- I’m sure you can find 10 internet articles that contradict what I’m saying but my research was done from scholarly journals and had to be cited…I hope you understand the point this was supposed to get across…)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 02:31PM by MarkHille.
Jens
Jens
Elite Moderator

December 20, 2012 02:16PM
Oh my... so much there. I'll just pick a few. I'm in CT too.

The link (I'm guessing didn't come up for me) is about William Petit MD.? If so, that was a tragedy that could have been avoided if his wife and daughters were trained and equipped to defend themselves. Personally (just me) think Dr. Petit is partially responsible for the loss of his family (flame away at me).

Cars: I started driving as soon as I could get a learner's permit (was either 15.5 or 16 years old). I usually drove quickly, but was always careful, never drank and drove, etc. Kids these days appear to be totally irresponsible (but I don't really know.. my current knowledge of teens is driven by the media). I don't know any teens.

Rougly 12 years ago I purchased a Garmin GPS and put it on my dash. I was about 45 years old. I almost rear ended a large truck which might have ended with me being decapitated. I sold the damn thing, and haven't had a GPS in a vehicle since. I think distracted driving is a huge problem. I live out in farming areas (quite rural for CT). Almost every week I experience some oncoming vehicle (large and small) wandering over the double yellow line. It scares the hell out of me!!!!!!!!!!
This something that was VERY RARE until the past few years.

I have not driven a new car, but these video screen menu things strike me as idiotic. I think THOSE things probably should be banned!. A friend of mine recently purchased a new car (he is a former rally co-driver). He told me the menus are a distracting nightmare.

Anyway.... that's my 2 cents for a little bit.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 20, 2012 02:54PM
2008 world wide childrens statistics http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98055567
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 20, 2012 03:26PM
heymagic
2008 world wide childrens statistics http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98055567

N fawkin Peee Are!
Why they're Communist Nazi lib'rals who are gonna take our guns!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Mega Moderator

December 20, 2012 05:51PM
heymagic

But that article talks about unintentional causes of children dying. In looking at the graphic on the side bar, Road injuries are the greatest cause, and homicides show 5.8 percent. But the article doesn't mention homicide as an unintentional cause of child deaths. Along with that, there is no data on how the homicide was committed. Strangulation, firearms, physical beating, starvation, stabbing, etc. In short, I don't understand it's relevance to this discussion.

William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login