Posted by BobOfTheFuture 
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Re: Lets say I wanted to build a car...
June 04, 2011 04:12AM
Its tough to tell when you guys are being serious, or if you are making fun of me. If the first part of what you said Gene is serious, perfect. If you are relating me to one of the xgames kids because I want to try to break into some local events... I think your a bit off target.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
starion887
starion887
Professional Moderator

June 04, 2011 08:23AM
This is killing me.....if you are in NY it is easy to tow a used Volvo up from the SE, where it's easy to find a rust free one. Here is an example in NC with just 2 minutes on eBay; find a good local drivetrain and cage it in NY. If really pressed for $$, just start out with a simple set of shocks if you are running RNY or Black River for stages and save the JVL suspension for later when you are running a few more events.
This one would probably be safe to drive back to NY (but no guarantees...!). Needs a trannie changeout:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-240-1993-VOLVO-240-AUTOMATIC-NO-RESERVE-/280689039757?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item415a5ed98d

If you just want a shell, I might find find one cheap here in VA (if I get the time to look); there a load of these things swirling around Charlottesville (with funny smelling smoke drifting out of the windows.....)

Good luck, and don't mind those PNW guys on this this site; they're mostly harmless....

Mark B.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, let me put one more nail in the Rabbit coffin: those things had strut towers that bent just road racing them....pretty weak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 03:52PM by starion887.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 04, 2011 10:04AM
BobOfTheFuture
Its tough to tell when you guys are being serious, or if you are making fun of me. If the first part of what you said Gene is serious, perfect. If you are relating me to one of the xgames kids because I want to try to break into some local events... I think your a bit off target.

IF I make fun of you..you'll know it. We have lots of old cars here, mostly rust free. ACP loves prowling around my parking lot when he is here...so many old cars they don't see on the east coast. I just had a running, decent 91 Legacy scrapped because it needed a head gasket. Lots of Volvos around, just saw a fair 3 series Bimmer at the junk yard yesterday awaiting processing, a few XR4, even some old RX7 still floating around. There is a pretty talented bunch of guys living here that could build a car in short order if someone wanted.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2011 06:38PM
heymagic
BobOfTheFuture

IF I make fun of you..you'll know it. We have lots of old cars here, mostly rust free. ACP loves prowling around my parking lot when he is here...so many old cars they don't see on the east coast. I just had a running, decent 91 Legacy scrapped because it needed a head gasket. Lots of Volvos around, just saw a fair 3 series Bimmer at the junk yard yesterday awaiting processing, a few XR4, even some old RX7 still floating around. There is a pretty talented bunch of guys living here that could build a car in short order if someone wanted.

Just in from a few happy hours swimming like a wee tap-pole under another Supra, pulling another 4.3 LSD diff for some luck Xratty owner for just the cost of the lint in my pocket.
8-9 perfectly rustfree 240 Volvos, only one has been smacked.

Gotta go shower (there WAS a giant bottomless mud waller under that damn thing)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 04, 2011 08:21PM
And you didn't stop in for a cup of tea? What, no love for your homies?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2011 08:37PM
phlat65
And you didn't stop in for a cup of tea? What, no love for your homies?

Fawk me man, I get a 20 minute lesson from QinQin on how to call on cell phone, I call like 6 times including when I was done singing "The Hippopotamus Song" by the great Rolf Harris -----come on who here doesn't remember Rolf Harris?? Cooome on???!!! Who could forget "Tie me Kangaroo Down", well he has another great one, the Hippopotamus Song.

When I was drying out I stumbled across a Toyota pick up with no bed right there in the middle (there's a empty lane next lane over) Both axles are pulled and under the cab, I was calling AGAIN to see if you could bring a snap-ring pliers so I could harvest the rings the seals ride on. Now i have to find somebody nearby who could go grab those, but who WHO WHO!!!!!!!

and now for some Rold Harris!
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param>

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 04, 2011 09:56PM
I left my phone at work friday, sorry. I should be able to go up there tomorrow. Call me tomorrow on Jenne's phone. I will PM it to you now.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 05, 2011 12:55PM
Alright, I figured. You guys can be... tough to read sometimes grinning smiley

The shell thing... Yeah, I may end up goin down south or the likes for a shell, but thats once I quit looking for someone else's problems. See, every time I mention "I'm a noob" and "I wanna start, but with a budget" people jump up and down saying "used rally car! used rally car!"

I'm sticking with that for now, but every time ive got the cash the cars disapear... every time the cash disapears the cars come out of hiding. I'm simply running out of paitience.

And as for Supra axles, theres enough of those still around by you to find a decent supply? I saw an older one last week, first one all year!
starion887
starion887
Professional Moderator

June 05, 2011 01:24PM
Aaaah those cars are playing mind games with you....!

No problems from this end with you building a car from scratch; there are plenty of used rally cars that are chock full or problems...and many are 'supposed' rally cars that aren't. I've built 3 and I've bought 2, and been fortunate with the boughten ones. But I have had to advise one guy that he had to cut out a supposed rally cage and start from scratch. So, there are risks in everything.

One serious question: If you are running out of patience in just getting a ready rally car, do you think you will end up being just horribly frustrated with the caging process and such? Or, do you have that part of it in easy control? (You could be a steel fabricator and welder for all I know and that part is a snap...)

As for the Supra axle, again the same question: Will you get frustrated with that part? I would suggest that if you are going to build your first rally car, then start simple, do the basics of the safety equipment, keep it all stock for a bit, and add bolt on parts for a while like JVL struts) before getting to serious for fabricated mods. 'Specialy for one event per year....

May I ask what you car build and other skills may be, and any racing experience? Just trying to get a sense of where you are at to be have the persepctive to offer worthwhile advice on what to do to meet your situation. There is no one process that fits all.

Regards,
Mark B.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 05, 2011 03:19PM
As usual, most of us oldies who are still kickin' have closely related opinions cause we've seen 25 years of peeps getting fed up and leaving.
Let's just focus on that for a second, cause that's where the car you buy done is going to come from...

Now CARVE IN STONE: What advantage does this model car give?
not what advantage does the derelict junk in the high grass out back have?

Related is: Why is Joe Flat-brim selling his car... His former locus of his dreams and aspirations, black hole of effort and money, not no longer beloved?

There's a million specifics, but they can be boiled down to a general covering idea : It no longer gives him a stiffie...

Now if it doesn't give the previous owner a stiffie---why is he willing to take the big Dollar Loss dumping the car, vs doing what is needed to make the faithful steed shine again?

I'm not daring to address that.....there's a million stories of sadness.

Something is itchin' at my old head, some Russian, a fervent Christian anarchist and anarcho-pacifist said;
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Maybe with apologies we could say "All happy rally cars are all alike, every unhappy rally car is unhappy in its own way"

You must find why the guy is selling, not the "what he's doing" ferfawkssake we know he's selling to to..... but WHY?

And decide if listening to people who preface what the say with "its the quickest way to be in the woods" carefully..They didn't say "be in the woods confidently" or "competitively" or even "max yeeeee Hawwingly".

How long you going to wait for Mr Goodbar?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 05, 2011 09:16PM
Starion, You ask about my abilities... I can weld, but dont have much exp at it... I am not a metal guy, but I can do most other car related stuff. If I had to, I would farm the cage out to a pro for safety concerns, and I bet that would be lighter then what I could fab. Motorsports related, it is track days, autocross and a few rallycross. Since I was a kid watching WRC on SPEED stage rally has been what I wanted to do, but Ive had few outlets for that.

I dont get fed up working on cars, But I do get that way while waiting. I only asked about the axle because he brought it up. If I went that route (or even that car) I would after my old one get spread about some field somewhere.

John, that is a damned good point.

The only reason I have been waiting is, frankly, I'm sick of swinging engines and stuff in front of my house. I don't have a garage or usable driveway and wanted to keep the stripped-car-in-the-street down to a minimum. Being so close to NYC means that a rented garage would cost more then my apartment, and they wont like me doing work in there.

Maybe I have to realize that to move on with this idea, Ive got to suck it up and piss off my neighbors some more.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 05, 2011 11:03PM
Bob, you see this guy Jimmy (he's somewhere in the NYC area) Pelizzari.

You guys oughtter meet up and talk, he just grabbed a 240 VW I found for him upstate somewhere but really talk to him.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 06, 2011 08:37AM
Well, I'm not sure who that is, but I'll keep an eye out for him, I assume he is on here?

All this ranting and raving has me lookin closer at 240's. All this looking at 240's has me wanting to get to drinking.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 06, 2011 08:48AM
You can file this one under "On Crack"

http://hartford.crai1991 Volvo 240 19,000 miles - $10995 (Simsbury, Ct.)

ATTENTION VOLVO ENTHUSIASTS: This pristine 1991 Volvo 240 has your name on it. Yes, it does say 19,000 miles. This car was inherited a few years ago from the original owner.
New tires and brakes were installed at that time. Remarkable condition inside and out. Beautiful bluish green color with tan fabric interior in perfect condition. Automatic transmission, power brakes.
Air conditioning, power windows and door locks. Intermittent wipers, AM/FM cassette tape player, heated seats. This is a 20 year old new car. And a classic.
gslist.org/cto/2377561421.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 08:49AM by BobOfTheFuture.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 06, 2011 10:11AM
here's a non-busted link to the crack addled car.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2377561421.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login