Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: Lets say I wanted to build a car...
June 10, 2011 02:18PM
Gravel Spray
heymagic
So back in the day Rod Chelgren (sp), John Cristensens co-driver, had a pristine Volvo rally car. Seems like it was about 2600cc or so .Is that correct or possible?

Rod still has the volvo, he's restored it and plans to race it at historic events(road racing). I have not seen it myself yet but we plan on doing a test and tune in the next few weeks.

He also has this Esort Cosworth he tracks quite a bit at PR.

I got see Rod and John at a track day last year. Pretty neat after all these years. He had the Cossie there.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 10, 2011 06:33PM
I love the Ecos without the fanboy massive wing. So clean and subtle.
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

June 10, 2011 09:10PM
This guy says hes got a "decent rolling chassi with engine and auto trans" for $200 in Boston:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=237623
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 11, 2011 08:59AM
That would be good, but I cant get it from there to here. Thanks for the link though!
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 11, 2011 09:49AM
That turbobricks post gives me all sorts of bad Lemonsy ideas involving a spare 2.3 engine from Fiasco and a Thunderchicken gearbox I think I have kicking around....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 11, 2011 11:07AM
BobOfTheFuture
That would be good, but I cant get it from there to here. Thanks for the link though!

What! they don't have tow dollies in New Yawk?
WTF, I actually found and rented tow dollies way the hell in the wilderness of a place called Wilton Nude Hamster, which way over the other side of Lyndeborough, Nude Hamster.

And i don't even speak the local language and I managed to rent it!

Why don't they have any tow dollies in New Yawk?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 11, 2011 11:39AM
JV and I even towed U-Haul dollies and trailers with my EXPLODER before U-Haul banned that practice. I'm probably the only person in the world to have ever towed a Saab Sonett two-stroke and a Sapphire Cosworth in the same day.
starion887
starion887
Mod Moderator

June 11, 2011 06:16PM
fiasco
I'm probably the only person in the world to have ever towed a Saab Sonett two-stroke and a Sapphire Cosworth in the same day.
Ah, the stuff of which legends are made....
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 11, 2011 06:34PM
grinning smiley I'm pretty damned sure we got tow dollies. I ain't got shit to tow em with though. I could pull the thing myself, but whats the point when I could just a wait a bit more for something a bit more accessible.

john vanlandingham
BobOfTheFuture

What! they don't have tow dollies in New Yawk?
WTF, I actually found and rented tow dollies way the hell in the wilderness of a place called Wilton Nude Hamster, which way over the other side of Lyndeborough, Nude Hamster.

And i don't even speak the local language and I managed to rent it!

Why don't they have any tow dollies in New Yawk?
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 11, 2011 06:38PM
For instance, Maybe Ill hit this guy when he is all down and lowly that nobody wants to give him more then 380 for his car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260796672343&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

1985 Volvo 244TI

1985 Volvo 240 244 Turbo Easy Restoration Many Extras!!

Item Location:

Newton Center, Massachusetts, United States

Time left:

1 day (Jun 12, 201116:30:55 PDT)

Bid history:

7 bids

Current bid:

US $357.00

Reserve pricenot met

Your maximum bid:
US $
Place bid

(Enter US $362.00 or more)

Price:

US $1,400.00

Offered for sale is a 1985 (last year of production) Volvo 244 Turbo. The car spent its' entire life in Alabama and is 98% rust free. I have many, many photos of this car so please email me if you want to see more. This car has approximately 132,XXX miles on it, although the speedometer cable's plastic retaining ring recently broke, so the actual mileage is a few more than that - but not much. This car is silver with a black leather interior. The paint is faded and will need a respray, and there are a few small dings. The worst of it is the driver's side fender, which looks like it clipped a garage on the way in or out. That will probably need replacement. Otherwise, the body is in fantastic shape. The spare tire and tool wells are perfect, as are the rockers, frame, and floorboards, with the exception of one small (about the size of a quarter) rust spot on the right rear floorboard. If you are looking for a 240 Turbo to restore, you know how hard it is to find one in this condition. The stock Turbo grille was replaced with a GL grille at some point, and a piece of trim is missing at the rear. The bumpers have a few nicks and should be replaced if you are restoring the car. The exhaust is motly good, but the tailpipe is rusted / rotted a bit. The taillights are not in great shape but will pass inspection. The interior suffers from the typical Volvo 240 interior issues; cracked dash, cracked seat leather, cracked door pockets, and faded rear deck. The dash, deck, and door pockets are easy to repair or replace; IPD sells door pockets and reinforcements which I have always found to be excellent, and their dash covers for the 1986 and newer 240 are also high quality. The seats are another story - however, if you are buying this car to restore rather than part out or race, read on - I have an immaculate set of black leather seats also available.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 11, 2011 08:06PM
That evilBay Volvo and its brother have been relisted at least once, I think the prices were closer to $2,000 last time. Yes, I spend too much time looking for cheap cars online.....
starion887
starion887
Mod Moderator

June 11, 2011 08:27PM
Check the location of Fairhope, AL, and the date of the 'strom incident' in the title record. Not long after Hurricane Katrina, if I recall correctly. Could be a flood car from Katrina; you don't want that. Rust in all sorts of places (inside structural boxes), wiring harnesses shot, etc.

Some advice Bob: Just be prepared for some issues if you buy a car unseeen. Spend some $$ on a title history if need be before plunking down $$ on an internet sale. I've bought several vehicls online, but am always prepared for the worst, and always research all that I can.

And never buy a flood car.....

Mark B.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 11, 2011 09:49PM
Oh, good point. Ill check out if he replys. I dont like buying stuff sight unseen, I would fly up to boston and check that out, then drive it home if warrented. But good looking out on that, Id assume, with that interior, that its original, and would stink if it was a flood car. I will be wary.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 11, 2011 10:35PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Volvo-244-Turbo-Solid-Low-reserve-Many-Extras-/190542760767?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5d3bcb3f

1983 Volvo 244GLT

Item Location: Johnson City, NY, United States

Time left: 21h 20m 45s (Jun 12, 201117:53:46 PDT)

Bid history: 4 bids[Refresh bidhistory]

Current bid: US $430.00
Reserve pricenot met

This car has all of the options that came on the Turbo model, including power windows and locks, power side mirrors. Mechanically this car is very good motor runs strong however the turbo is acting a bit flaky, stalls some time but starts right up. No rust! Odometer stopped working last year so add about 15,000 miles onto the car. Low miles for a Volvo! Car has spent a great deal of time in our garage as extra vehicle that is why such low mileage. I have replacement odometer for the car. Has been in family since new! This car is silver with a black leather interior. The interior is in need in repair or seat covers will do the trick. I have a set of blue ones that go with the car. Many extras too many to list! Car is not perfect but dependable and will make a good second vehicle or project restoration! Low reserve! Vehicle is sold "AS IS"! Start your bidding!
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 11, 2011 10:40PM
i think you really should be looking at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Volvo-240-242-Turbo-Easy-Restoration-Many-Extras-/260796672016?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cb8b16810

black turbo coupe from MA its whole life.

only 3 bids on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login