john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Lets say I wanted to build a car...
June 15, 2011 01:44AM
BobOfTheFuture
Yeah, a lot of that was not understood, until the sound effects. Now it makes perfect sense.

Well, my intent was a 5 speed car, and race it till I brake it.

Whats really funny is you're acting like me and Jimmy are old friends, haha. I am not opposed to working with someone, ofcourse.

Mark, Do you mean the one in Bethlehem, or Muncey? The Muncey one supposedly has a bad bearing the kid is gonna fix this weekend, and the Bethlehem car I am waiting for the guy to respond.

This on the other hand:
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2433859249.html

1987 Mercury Merkur - $1000 (Loysville)

This car is in nice shape for the year. It has a 2.3 turbo 5 speed in it I'm asking 1000.00 or best offer I also have 2 more parts cars for sale I'm asking 500.00 each or I will sell all 3 for 1700.00 I have titles for all 3. call 717-683-5656

Is also in PA, One of them there Mercury Merkurs. 4 Hours away. I'm gonna call in the morning.

Look at your names. For all we all know your families could be from the same village in Reggio Calabria. Paisano!

Hey go get the two parts cars for $500 each

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 15, 2011 02:34AM
Ah, good point on the names. Which has me wondering, what nationality is Vanlandingdongdarn anyhow? grinning smiley

But, still, I aint got nuffin' to tow nuffin', so those Merks are all just there to taunt me...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2011 03:08AM
BobOfTheFuture
Ah, good point on the names. Which has me wondering, what nationality is Vanlandingdongdarn anyhow? grinning smiley

But, still, I aint got nuffin' to tow nuffin', so those Merks are all just there to taunt me...

Vlaamse or to you Fiamminga

Or Flemish to some.
Used to call the 'team' the Flemish-American Rally Team, and me
"the Flying Flem"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 15, 2011 01:19PM
Ha! thats brilliant. ]

On topic- that dude w/ the Merkur halfway across PA still has it. Its pretty tempting, but my friends are balking at driving me out there so's i can drive it back. Anyone live close to Loysville, PA?

In the end of the day today, I will probably just end up with an auto 240, And I'm not sure how I feel about that.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2011 01:45PM
BobOfTheFuture
Ha! thats brilliant. ]

On topic- that dude w/ the Merkur halfway across PA still has it. Its pretty tempting, but my friends are balking at driving me out there so's i can drive it back. Anyone live close to Loysville, PA?

In the end of the day today, I will probably just end up with an auto 240, And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

wanna buy a low miles service rig with excellent tow package?

89000 miles on a Suburban PLUS a rust free 85 manual trans Xratty PLUS a freshened up VGC motor all for $4500. Loadsa piccies available

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 15, 2011 01:53PM
John, That sounds like a great offer, but a couple of facets of that are out of my reach at the moment. Ive read the ad in the for sale section. Also not up to a cross country trip soon, heh.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 15, 2011 02:17PM
Whatsa VGC motor?
alkun
Albert Kun
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 15, 2011 03:56PM
BobOfTheFuture
Ha! thats brilliant. ]

mmmm, yer going to have to get over that. A big part of being a privateer rally driver is mercilessly bossing around your friends during hell-and-back roadtrips.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2011 04:25PM
NoCoast
Whatsa VGC motor?

Very Good Condition

Its what most call a "rebuild" but I call a vigourous freshening.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2011 04:27PM
BobOfTheFuture
John, That sounds like a great offer, but a couple of facets of that are out of my reach at the moment. Ive read the ad in the for sale section. Also not up to a cross country trip soon, heh.

Hey driving alone in a '72 Saab V4 I calculate 3 days Seattle-Fawkin Bawstin averaging only 50 mph..

A lots less bother a few days of comfort towing than repair fawkin rust!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

June 15, 2011 04:36PM
john vanlandingham

This is one of the wisest things John has ever said.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2011 05:00PM
Doivi Clarkinen
john vanlandingham

This is one of the wisest things John has ever said.

Let me add one more very wise thing: FAWK!!!!!!!!
Rust!!!!!

FAWK!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
starion887
starion887
Professional Moderator

June 15, 2011 07:23PM
john vanlandingham
starion887
How about the manual-trannied car in PA? Too pricey?

You can do the conversion, but I would be getting an auto trans car pretty cheap to be able to offset the manual conversion. Have you looked around at j-yards to see how much issue it is to get a manual trans and all the bits?

It's kinda hard to advise you at this point. Lesse: you need to work outside, so it's best to keep the modification steps to small steps so that you can complete them in a relatively short time. A trannie conversion should fall into that class if you have some car skills. Even if you get a manual trannie, I would pull it out and put in a new clutch anyway.

Mark B.

Mark, trust me, he does not want a Volvo trans in there. Weak and a hole between 2nd and 3rd you could drive a truck thru, and speaking of trucks the ratios are worthy of a pick up with a 3.97 first.
With a 3.97 First if he grabs any shorter axle ratio than about 4.1 first will be worse than useless, like 2 car lengths long. Then second, the THE CANYON to third wher the engine flames out like
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-(crunch) duh! uh uh uh uuuuh uuuh uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Badmoody smiley

Good to know, John, that there is a worse geared trannie out there than the Opel 4 speeds I lived with for years. At least they were durable, but I spent half of some rallies back and forth between 2nd a 3rd so I know how bad it can be.

Having said that, we don't know Bob's budget situation and plans. Bob, if you are going to job out the cage, then you are looking at somewhere in the $3.5k to $5k range for cage, seats, belts, and head&neck restraint. The added $700-$1k (or so it sounds) for the T5 upgrade may not be in the cards right away, and so even rallying with a poor manual trannie in the car beats the snot out of no manual trannie and no rallying.

With the Opel trannies at least I was rallying, and had a pretty good record to show for it despite the trannie gearing. There's a lot more that goes into good finishes than just one technical aspect of a rally car.

Mark B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 07:26PM by starion887.
starion887
starion887
Professional Moderator

June 15, 2011 07:34PM
BobOfTheFuture

That attitude is just not gonna work in rally. 5 hour towing one way is a the 'neighborhhood' rally. My son and I drove 20 hours each way in a 2.5 day Kamikaze run from VA to south TX for the project car in the garage.

BTW, that manual trannie Volvo that I saw was the one in Muncy PA. Looked almost too good in the interior to tear out for rallying, but a good rust free car is worth money. But you'll have to get up close to any of them to see what is good.

Mark B.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 15, 2011 09:13PM
Mark B.[/quote]

the T5 upgrade may not be in the cards right away, and so even rallying with a poor manual trannie in the car beats the snot out of no manual trannie and no rallying
Mark B.[/quote]

This is why I was looking for a 5 speed. I figured race it till I break it then T5.

And as for the long road trips thing, sure, Its no issue w/ people that want to be a part of it, not so much with people you wrangle into going on the drive because they have a car they can drive back.

FOR INSTANCE I just got back from looking at a 240 a mere 40 miles away. Got there, the guy didnt disclose that the car had leins up the ass and he was flaky anyhow, so I walked. 15 minthe ride home said friends car took a dump, tranny fluid everywhere. I just got done walking home from where the tow truck dropped me off a few min ago.

I've got no issue driving my arse out 3 states away to hit a rally. But not in someone elses mode of transportation for work, where I am going to feel guilty cause it blew up 20 miles from home.

Either way, My plan is NY and PA rallies till I have to money and space to park a tow set up. Till then, I guess call me "small time"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login