Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

What did you do on the rally car today?

Posted by Carl S 
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

Re: What did you do on the rally car today?
October 20, 2006 08:53PM
MRWmotorsports Wrote:
> Car looked like a
> jacked up multi-coloured piece of crap,

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=17166035

Sounds familiar. smiling smiley

ObWrenching: Redid the rear suspension geometry a bit. Will play pn dirt tomorrow but on pavement I simply cannot get power oversteer in the dry and in the wet, it's really difficult to spln the tires. This on complete garbage tires that are maybe 11 years old and I only use them ebcause they were !A) free and cool smiley still fairly round so they don't shake much.

This should be *fun*. Getting thrustwise grip has always been this car's Achilles heel. Recent weather suggests the course conditions will be *very* tacky, which is Even Better. I cannot wait.

Also, I took a Ford caliper pin such like older Town Cars used (17mm bolthead, goes in from wheel side) and ground its extended shoulder to a taper slightly larger than 1/2" square, then pressed it into a cheapo chrome 21mm socket. Combined with my trusty 3/8" Makita cordless drill, I now have a speedwrench for changing tires. Still will need to break lugs free by hand and torque by hand, but it seems like all of the guys with fancy electric impact guns do that *anyway*.

Now all I need are a good jack, and socketed rockers.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

October 22, 2006 07:48PM
OK this car fawkin ROCKS now.

That's all I will say...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 23, 2006 01:36AM
I got to drive a bone-stock GVR4 for the first time ever today. Moose let me take his rally car around the block once, but it's so differnet to actually drive one in stock trim. I've never actually driven a civl Gaylant.

Met a new buddy this afternoon who's offered to come by with an electric impact. If we can't get the balance shaft nuts loose this week, I'm just going to button this engine up and install it. I discovered last night, while finally installing the brake upgrade for the Talon that has been sitting in my garage for almost a year, that not only are all my tie rods shot on the Talon, but my driver's CV just shit the bed as well. I just incurred close to $250 worth of BS on my daily driver.

Good plan today: Running GVR4 that can be driven to new house in six weeks.
Perfect plan tomorrow: BSEK, new water and oil pumps, ARP head studs, etc. etc. "When I get the money."

The multi-color job looks cool, though. Glad to hear the car rocks in such fashion!

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

October 23, 2006 11:05AM
Fuel cell partially installed, still need to weld frame in place, plate holes, make straps, buy SS flex lines, and paint (doesn't sound liek we've done anything does it?).

Rear Lower A-Arms, and Front lower control arms are all boxed in now, and painted.

Door iner skins are done, ready to be installed.

Ralay/fuse box assembled, wired etc, for 3 pairs of lights and a fan.

That's all we did this weekdn? Fuck, we're in trouble!

-Martin.
Rally West
Rem Wyatt
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Golf

October 23, 2006 10:54PM
Drove the piss out of the car...on the stage that blew our trans last year. Actually we drove Mt. Gleason, Messneger and Magic Mtn stages at night. Only came accross 2 hunters driving the roads. Trans good! Been a long time since I drove the thing. My buddy who is used to open fast stages and Open class cars, tossed cookies several times and we were only driving 6/10ths. He commented the car was on rails, he is right since I never slid the thing at those speeds.

So all is looking good for Laughlin.

Just need:
1. VW/GM/Vauxhaul pickup for Brantz.
2. Change ALL fluids.
3. Work on the tow rig and trailer.
4. 1 million other things I am forgetting right now!

If all goes well we will so some of you ugly fuckers there!! Don't worry I will drink till all ya'll are sexy lookin'!!

Thanks To: Billygoat Racing "Smokin' since 1977"
wildert
Brian Klausen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

October 24, 2006 03:49AM
After bending the rear beam, a wheel and the crank sensor giving up on me during last race (Sunday), I was in the garage yesterday to start sorting things out. I have until next Saturday, so I'm a bit pressed for time.
Stripped the spare rear beam completely, removing (the worst) rust, bushings etc. - and then gave it the whole POR-15-treatment - that was the end of the day.

Gotta do up some nylon bushings for the rear beam, mount the new crank sensor and timing wheel (going to wasted spark now I'm at it - was planning to do it anyway), and obviously mount the rear beam.
I've basically got all the parts - just need time :-/.

Brgrds
Brian

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 24, 2006 12:09PM
Time, time, time.

3 cages worth of DOM is being delivered tomorrow. Next Tuesday is my last day working at the current job. Start the new job on the 13th. Hope to have the rear end back together, cage in, seats in, sunroof patched, single rear window tidied up, and car driveable by then. Still have two jobs and school to attend to during those two weeks, but hopefully should be able to get it all done. May not completely install the cage, but just the main, important bits.

Then we have two Subarus that need caged asap as well. And still have to get correct tungsten and gas to weld aluminum. And find a wood stove to keep the garage toasty since it's starting to get colder outside.

Grant Hughes
John Cassidy
John Cassidy
Mega Moderator

October 25, 2006 08:29PM
Removed the front fenders on the Merkur. All I can say is that the factory must've been a spot weld training center! ;-)

Off to play in the Subaru in NH this coming weekend.

Cheers! John

http://www.lastditchracing.com
http://www.triplecaution.us
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 26, 2006 11:38AM
I always say Ford must have just discovered spot welds when they built this car. And I despise drilling out spot welds more than just about anything.

Pulled apart the rear end. Discovered just how horribly bent the rear beam I had was. Good thing there's a spare. Hopefully the JVAB ones will be done before I totally destroy the spare one.
Finished wire wheel cleaning the interior. Went and bought some supplies. Installed the new bushings on the new STAs for the rear. Pulled the tub shaft and CVs off the old rear. Went and watched Nightmare before Christmas in 3D. Went home. Girlfriend and I rudely interuppted by gunshots next door at 1 am. Drive by shooting. Lots of police. Noone injured, just 8-10 rounds fired at the house next door. Hope to finish shell pre-cage prep tonight and get the new rear end partially assembled. Still have to decide what to do for brakes in rear. Hold out for JVAB rears, pick up some Sierra, Scorpio, Mustang, rear for the intermediate, or just run no rear brakes for now.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2006 12:34PM by NoCoast.
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

October 26, 2006 02:55PM
I think you should finish the car pronto and move somewhere else (like Phoenix), if not your car may be dubbed Swiss Cheese.

Are you sure they were targeting the neighbor not you ??? What if the Anti XRatty Militia put a hit on your car ?

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 26, 2006 06:47PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Girlfriend and I rudely interuppted by
> gunshots next door at 1 am. Drive by shooting.
> Lots of police. Noone injured, just 8-10 rounds
> fired at the house next door.

I like how he just goes right into where he left off...

"I was making myself a sandwhich when the knife slipped, slicing my right wrist. Blood was spraying everywhere when my mom walked into the room and began to scream. Turned out we were out of Miracle Whip, so I laid down and took a nap on the couch while some Tom Clancy movie was on TBS."

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 27, 2006 11:52AM
sagsert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you should finish the car pronto and move
> somewhere else (like Phoenix), if not your car may
> be dubbed Swiss Cheese.
>
> Are you sure they were targeting the neighbor not
> you ??? What if the Anti XRatty Militia put a hit
> on your car ?

I was looking at jobs in Phoenix yesterday. Not much for Biostat stuff there. Now Seattle, Washington, Helsinki, Chicago, and Geneva on the other hand.

I may be in Phoenix alot during the next three months actually. The girlfriend may be getting a job with this company out of Tucson as a Archaelogical Photographer and they have a three month project starting in a few weeks at Tuton National Monument. So she'd be living there for three months working and with Southwest's hub being in Phoenix flights between the two cities is regularily under $100 round trip. I love riding horses in the desert.

Was going to start on cage on Wednesday. Pushing it back to Friday. Have all next weekend off to finish it. Going to get the shell fully prepped on Sunday though.

Grant Hughes
Rally West
Rem Wyatt
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Golf

October 27, 2006 10:29PM
NoCoast Wrote: I love riding
> horses in the desert.
>
>
And fuzzy Teddy Bears, and sunsets, and Elmo, and the smell of daisies, and...YOU HOMO!!!

Thanks To: Billygoat Racing "Smokin' since 1977"
simoniac
Simon Wright
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

October 28, 2006 06:29AM
OK, first post here.

Hi Guys!

The Focus is off it's jack stands! Finally. And I give my offical seal of approval to power bleeders.

Over the last two weeks (much to the annoyance of my long suffering wife for taking up the whole two-car garage) we've been fitting the SRF hub/brake kit and DMS suspension. Interesting process. And last night I bled the new brakes too. Next step is to mount the new exhaust then it'll run under its own steam again. Should be ready for the next THSCC rallycross at the new site near Roxboro.

Simon
USUKRacing.com

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 28, 2006 03:40PM
Haha. That tickles. Again. Again.

There was just a big meth bust in Greeley where the people were smuggling the meth inside of Elmo dolls.

Now to go finish the sunroof patch prep and rebuilding a new rear beam assembly.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login